Monday, May 30, 2011

Journaling

In Chaprter 3 of Daniels & Bizar I learned a lot about journaling and using notebooks in the classroom.  I have tried to use notebooks and journals in the classroom, but found that I get away from it throughout the year.  I always have good intentions to start them and keep them going, but with the limited time and the lack of space and students constantly losing their journals it seemed like we never found the time to do them.  I found the chapter very helpful!  It provided great ideas on how to use journals and notbooks in the classroom and how to keep them from becoming stale.  I think if I start them in the beginning of the year and use a variety of the methods listed I might be able to keep the journals going for a longer time, hopefully throughout the entire year next year.  Journaling also provides students a chance to use their literature skills.

3 comments:

  1. I too have tried using journals and failed. I would get frustrated with students loosing their notebooks or saying they had nothing to write so after a month or so I would give up, of course using the excuse that I just didn't have enough time anymore. After reading, I also think I need to rethink the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids use journals at least 4 days a week even now but I have become lax in checking them. I started out checking them each friday afternoon while waiting for buses and did good the first month of school. I give students daily prompts - though they are beginning the 'We've done this before' phrase of journaling. I found that with my students, they fell into the routine of "I'm done Ms. Savage" and then I find out that they didn't do it. I started having them share journals when class began to try and enforce the rule that they needed to be completed...notdoing so well! I feel like Kim - I need to rethink my journal time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that many teachers think that journals are only for language arts class, but there are so many more uses for them. If we consider that we're using writing a way for students to learn, not a way to measure their learning, then it's only logical to use journals in other content areas to give students a way to process their thoughts and to formulate their questions.

    There are lots of different ways to approach journaling. After all, isn't that what we're doing with our EDUC 520 blogs?

    ReplyDelete